If you’re looking to hook up with some social media influencers in order to promote your products, look no further, as we have some useful tips on how to get started.
First of all, what kind of influencers are out there
- Mega-influencers – these are those who have millions of followers – think Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber.
- Macro-influencers – these have between 100k and 1 million followers – chef Joe Wicks or actress Gemma Chan would be examples.
- Micro influencers – these (generally) stand at less than 100k followers and can be difficult to quantify as there are accounts with 1000 followers that get very high engagement from their posts.
So how do I find influencers to work with?
- Do a manual search
Those already using social media lots will be aware of some of the main influencers in their sector. Why not make an excel with titles like ‘influencer name, main platform, website domain activity and following.’?
Find out the domain authority for an influencer’s site by using the free MozBar extension from Moz – the larger the DA score, the better and aiming for around 30-35 is a good figure to aim for.
- Use influencers marketer tools
Influencer marketing tools are one of the fastest ways to find potential social media influencers. Influencer marketing tools will give you a quick insight into a site’s social presence, with factors like their follower number, engagement rates, links to blogs and other channels, follower details like demographics, age and gender and location. Tools such as Social Bond allow you to manage the whole process.
- Measure relevance
In order to track down the right influencers, you need to assess their relevancy by doing the following:
- Take a look at the topics they discuss on their blog/social channels and see if they are relevant to your audience.
- Take a look at the content they share with their audience and see if it benefits your target audience.
- Find out if their audience crosses over with your target audience where demographics and location are concerned.
Tools like Buzz Sumo can help search for influencers by topic and you can view the links share by any you might find.