How Can Brands Leverage The Power of TikTok Marketing and Advertising?
TikTok has swiftly emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the social media space. It’s a potentially game-changing tool that businesses should no longer ignore. Coupled with its rich and diverse user base, TikTok offers businesses a unique opportunity to connect with a global audience in creative and unique ways.
The innovative short-form video format allows businesses to showcase their products, services and brand personality with remarkable creativity and flair. Whether it’s viral challenges, behind-the-scenes glimpses or entertaining tutorials, TikTok enables businesses to captivate and inspire their target market audience, unlike conventional social media platforms.
Plus, the algorithm ensures that even small businesses can gain significant visibility, attracting new customers and building brand awareness via a loyal audience. By embracing TikTok, businesses can tap into a thriving community, fuel brand growth and forge deep connections that drive results in the dynamic digital landscape.
If your brand isn’t taking advantage of TikTok, this article should help push you over the edge.
“TikTok ads are perfect for businesses that offer services & products that solve common-life issues. If you’re able to clearly raise an issue that the vast public will frequently relate to but then also show how your product or services can efficiently solve it, you’re on to a winner. Creativity and imagination are vital to TikTok advertising.” – Shaun Nunn.
Unique Bite-Sized Content
In the fast-paced world of social media, capturing and retaining users’ attention is paramount; that’s why TikTok is the perfect platform for brands. Developing bite-sized and unique content tailored explicitly for TikTok can transform a brand’s online presence.
By creating content that resonates within the platform’s limited time frame, brands can cut through the noise to deliver their message effectively. The ability to condense brand narratives into bite-sized pieces lets them maintain viewers’ interest and leave a lasting impression in seconds.
Most important is that TikTok celebrates creativity, originality and authenticity. Brands that embrace these values and approach their content with a fresh perspective become trendsetters with a dedicated following. So, it all boils down to creating the correct type of bitesize content.
Brands Absolutely Killing It On TikTok
Some brands have been more successful than others on TikTok for the reasons we highlighted above. Below are some of the most successful brands that have proverbially killed it on the platform.
- Chipotle: the Mexican food chain has gained significant traction on TikTok by embracing user-generated content and running viral challenges. A few years back, they ran the #ChipotleLidFlip challenge, where users attempted to flip the lid of their Chipotle bowls and burritos. The campaign generated millions of views and, more importantly, user-generated videos, boosting the brand’s visibility and engagement.
- Gymshark: The fitness apparel brand has effectively used TikTok to connect with its target audience of fitness enthusiasts. The company collaborates with fitness influencers to create workout challenges, showcase their products and provide fitness tips. The content reflects TikTok’s energetic and aspirational nature, effectively resonating with users and resulting in a dedicated community.
- Ocean Spray: The juice and beverage brand experienced a viral moment on TikTok when Nathan Apodaca’s video of skateboarding and drinking Ocean Spray’s cranberry juice went viral. They embraced the organic exposure and collaborated with Nathan to create their content. They effectively capitalised on the trend and garnered immense brand visibility with positive sentiment.
- NBA: The National Basketball Association (NBA) successfully tapped into TikTok’s sports-loving audience by sharing highlights, behind-the-scenes footage and entertaining content featuring players. The brand uses TikTok’s editing tools and effects to create engaging content that resonates with basketball fans, sparking conversations and driving engagement.
Tips For Succeeding At TikTok Marketing
- Embrace Authenticity: TikTok is all about authenticity. Thus, businesses should show their genuine personality to connect with users on a human level. Avoid overly promotional content and focus on creating relatable, entertaining and unique videos.
- Engage with Trends and Challenges: Stay updated with the latest TikTok marketing trends and challenges. Joining popular trends and incorporating them into your content can increase visibility, reach and engagement with the TikTok community.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Partnering with TikTok influencers aligned with your brand values and target audience can be a powerful strategy. Influencers have a dedicated following and can help amplify your brand’s message, increase reach and drive engagement. Collaborate with them to create sponsored content or to feature your products/services in their videos.
- Utilise The Platform’s Creative Tools: TikTok offers a wide range of creative tools, filters, effects and editing features. We advise you to experiment with these tools to enhance your videos’ visual appeal and creativity. This allows you to stand out from the crowd while captivating viewers’ attention.
- Consistency and Frequency: Building a presence on TikTok requires consistent and regular content creation. Develop a content strategy that outlines the frequency of your posts and sticks to it. Consistency helps to build an engaged audience and maintain their interest in your brand.
Potential Pitfalls of TikTok Advertising
While TikTok advertising can be highly effective, it’s essential to be aware of potential pitfalls that businesses may encounter. Here are a few common ones:
- Ineffective Targeting: TikTok’s advertising platform provides various targeting options, but if not used strategically, you will see ineffective ad placements. Imprecise targeting leads to ads being shown to relevant audiences. The low engagement translates to wasted ad spend. So, you want to start with understanding your target audience and leverage TikTok’s targeting features to reach the right users.
- Ad Fatigue: TikTok is a platform with a fast-paced and ever-changing content landscape. Users scroll through various videos, and repetitive or overly frequent ad placements can lead to ad fatigue. So, you’d want to diversify ad creatives, refresh them regularly and use innovative ways to capture users’ attention.
- Negative User Feedback: TikTok has a highly engaged user base that actively interacts with content through comments and likes. But it’s not unusual for ads to receive negative feedback or be perceived as intrusive. It can harm your brand’s reputation and create a backlash. So, monitoring user comments and responding promptly to concerns is crucial.
- Ad Placement Challenges: TikTok offers different ad formats and placements, but not all placements may be equally effective for your brand or campaign goals. Choosing the correct ad format or placement can result in better visibility, low engagement or lower conversion rates. So, you’d need to experiment with all formats a bit.
TikTok advertising can change the way you think about advertising and branding. However, experimentation is the most important and probably crucial to your brand’s success on the platform. The more you push the boundaries of what’s possible, the higher the odds of going viral and thus garnering loads of much-needed attention.